Home About Us Mission Why Reform Humane Trapping Wildlife Rehab News Join NUWC

Should I ever poison a rodent?

Rodenticides cause internal bleeding and hemmoraging to death. The process can take several days, and is extremly painful to the animal. Poisons are most commonly used on rats and mice, who are some of the most well-understood mammals in the world, and have been shown to exhibit high intelligence, the ability to dream and even laugh. The use of rodenticides is exceptionally cruel. Furthermore, repeated studies show that poisons are ineffective for the following reasons:
  • Several rats or mice in a group learn to avoid the poison, often after eating a non-lethal dosage.
  • Rodents reproduce quickly, so unless all of them are removed, the population rebounds to capacity quickly.
  • Most rodents that eat poison in a building also die in that building, which causes decomposing carcasses, and extreme odor issues, as well as maggot and fly infestations.
  • Pest control companies want to sign you up for a monthly or quarterly "rodent maintenance" contract for life! They do not want to permanently solve the rodent problem! They use ineffective poison, which slowly painfully kills off a only a percentage of the rodents in a building.
USE EXCLUSION REPAIRS INSTEAD - this keeps rodents out of a building permanently. It is the only effective solution, and it is also the most humane.

When one is faced with a rodent infestation, the first thing that they think about is to get poison and be done with it. This can be very effective when you want to remove rodents from the recreational vehicle, the barn or home as well as all other areas but usually, this is not a very good idea. Poisoning is dangerous because poison can be accessed by other animals other than rodents (for example, pets) or even small children. Additionally, poisoning is very painful way to die so there is no need to subdue any animal to it, don't you agree? There are other ways to solve rodent infestation.

Issues surrounding poisoning

One of the greatest issues with poisoning is the fact that it can be very harmful to other animals and humans. If there are farm animals, household pests, children or even wildlife, you have to very careful with this method. Even the most responsible people can contact the poison and ingests it leave alone the children who don’t know any better.

Housing the poison will not help with disposal. You may have to deal with decaying smell while you look for the rodent’s carcass. They can actually die in walls or other areas that are very hard to reach. It can be very costly to remove the rodent especially if the wall or area has to be torn apart to take out the animal.

Rodents are also known to carry quite a number of diseases. When you kill them in this way, you are at risk of contracting the ailments as you go to dispose the rodents. Extra precautions should be taken when removing the bodies as they can have parasites as well as diseases that can be transferred to humans.

There are other great ways that can be applied so as to deal with rodents without necessarily killing them. There are the repellents that are meant for rodents and they can actually take care of the rodents. However, this may not be a very effective method.

If you decide to kill the rodent, there are more humane ways that you should consider. Live traps when well executed can be very effective at the end of the day.

Poisoning an animal is not a humane method. This is because the animal will go through so much pain and agony due to the internal bleeding usually caused by the chemicals used.